After getting a decree in Italy in the nineteen eighties, D'Amato became a scholar of the Russian academician Sigurd Ottovich Schmidt (in Russian Шмидт, Сигурд Оттович) at Moscow’s Historical-Archive Institute (Russian State University for the Humanities) in the nineteen Nineties. He got a Ph.D. in history.
D’Amato wrote a book about Italian travellers to Russia in the 15th -16th centuries and studied Russian-Italian relationships. Some of his articles have been published in languages other than Italian. He wrote three books respectively on the subjects of the break-up of USSR, the EU enlargement to the East, and euro-integration.
- Сочинения итальянцев о России XV – XVI конца веков, Москва 1995. (Italian reports on Russia 15th -16th centuries) Book in Russian.
- Review Foreign descriptions of Muscovy. An Analytic Bibliography of Primary and Secondary Sources by Marshall Poe in «Slavic Review» Vol. 56, No. 3, Autumn 1997, pp. 566 – 567.
- Il Diario del Cambiamento. Urss 1990 – Russia 1993. Greco&Greco editori, Milano, 1998. (The Diary of the Change. USSR 1990 – Russia 1993) Book in Italian.
- Viaggio nell’Hansa baltica. L’Unione europea e l’allargamento ad Est. Greco&Greco editori, Milano, 2004. (Travel to the Baltic Hansa. The European Union and its enlargement to the East) Book in Italian.
- L’EuroSogno e i nuovi Muri ad Est. L’Unione europea e la dimensione orientale. Greco&Greco editori, Milano, 2008. (The EuroDream and the new Walls at East. The European Union and the Eastern dimension) Book in Italian.
- The new Europe in the midst of separations, reconciliations, and new unions, in «2015 Scientific Economic Magazine», No.1 issue 1, edizioni Palager, Bergamo, 2009.
- Битва Николаевки 1943 – 2003 г. EuropaRussia, 2009 г.
- Ледяной ад Рады Газета Тамбовское время, Тамбов 2003 г., EuropaRussia, 2009 г.
- Katyń. Andrzej Wajda. The defeat of the silence. EuropaRussia, March 24th, 2008
- Italian reports EuropaRussia
- Slavic Review Volume 56 3:566
- Travel Hansa EuropaRussia.
- EuroDream and new Walls EuropaRussia.